Following on from my post about the new key being added to the zone, the required 30 days have passed and if your resolver is RFC5011 compliant, it should now trust the key.

You can check this as follows:


$ cat /var/named/managed-keys.bind
$TTL 0  ; 0 seconds
@                       IN SOA  . . (
                                1904       ; serial
                                0          ; refresh (0 seconds)
                                0          ; retry (0 seconds)
                                0          ; expire (0 seconds)
                                0          ; minimum (0 seconds)
                        KEYDATA 20170425142612 20170210095625 19700101000000 257 3 8 (
                                ) ; KSK; alg = RSASHA256; key id = 19036
                                ; next refresh: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:26:12 GMT
                                ; trusted since: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:56:25 GMT KEYDATA 20170424152612 20170317172529 19700101000000 257 3 8 (
                                ) ; KSK; alg = RSASHA256; key id = 3934
                                ; next refresh: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:26:12 GMT
                                ; trusted since: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:25:29 GMT
                        KEYDATA 20170424152612 20170418002534 19700101000000 257 3 8 (
                                ) ; KSK; alg = RSASHA256; key id = 19741
                                ; next refresh: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:26:12 GMT
                                ; trusted since: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 00:25:34 GMT

We can see in the output above that the new key, keytag 19741, is now trusted.


$ cat /var/lib/unbound/
; autotrust trust anchor file
;;id: 1
;;last_queried: 1493044058 ;;Mon Apr 24 14:27:38 2017
;;last_success: 1493044058 ;;Mon Apr 24 14:27:38 2017
;;next_probe_time: 1493047519 ;;Mon Apr 24 15:25:19 2017
;;query_failed: 0
;;query_interval: 3600
;;retry_time: 3600       60      IN      DNSKEY  257 3 8 AwEAAa9qsSLDI+H0keqE3Yzdr6XuhqhBQVWw5xdgNoWLhE4VxSEIBz9IuCA4w4ssSrClZ59seNc76ltDFcKJv3X9jDjzRtBLjenIgV4n/3GpKrAAnRlYbUtpBEdlk4mxoL3BlX8pfLg7RQfTlWaxOUga1+CChcVieFF/si/eePc9HpZbWxHZRLCAE8dlDa0aa0tfVAZWOnaifpmbTvhDK3tdvMU0tfG2YfsOYcFB9z2KWmCDYwCONNKtls3p6wMwolun1h8IYo0PF98vqjAp3NVRZvKKdgyF/bZ/iJtAZFytXvXU6Gwa5tOm1wgP6wuKupscP8KHBluZyOSKw4RMTk6YBdE= ;{id = 3934 (ksk), size = 2048b} ;;state=2 [  VALID  ] ;;count=0 ;;lastchange=1489997718 ;;Mon Mar 20 08:15:18 2017       60      IN      DNSKEY  257 3 8 AwEAAfUtjasCuLysD4MbjG3v4Kyu0vvVJ/0cIreP6fltMeZmwQ5SRta/mB+eFVjau+6YKra2UeTKxojBovHH2lZrw7NNejL44/Xps4gR3LSVMnCdwras+yvj4en64ghRGWYOuB+Icb0AqrCUhLFWR8yx41UkfaA2vzFnM2xTx0N0+o6R6UciWuwJResomQupOjNUy2ZAi81Y3pb0x3Lw4POjpcSJzrK4aZ/5UPymplqhLEU2DsoQmyFlM5RNTt0YXR8XM4Ywsu/scxg0u00IF1GC8xcyZUTMc1Rz98AY1VUo5QqUp9VbAed5Aw1nNYfjLTj+zOykedgmjms1iNgh9EY111c= ;{id = 19741 (ksk), size = 2048b} ;;state=2 [  VALID  ] ;;count=0 ;;lastchange=1492590342 ;;Wed Apr 19 08:25:42 2017

Similarly, for unbound, we can see above that the status is now VALID.


Wiper Relay


Recently, the wipers have started to play up on my 2010 BMW E60 LCI

I booked it in to North Oxford BMW last Saturday morning, as it’d been there for services and I’m happy with the work and the customer care.

Of course, sod’s law jumped in, and on the Friday night on the way home from work, the wipers worked fine. Grr.

I took it along to BMW anyway, and thankfully the wipers played up for the technician, and the computer had logged helpful fault codes.

The motor was declared as fine, and a replacement relay was recommended.

They had none in stock, and so I ordered one to collect; I’m quite competent and can swap a relay.

In the mean time I checked the handbook; no mention of relays, just fuses. OK; off to google we go.

The relays are in the “e-box” which is under one of the cabin air intake filters. A helpful Youtube video showed how to get to it.

I picked the relay up this morning, and as the weather was nice, set about replacing it this afternoon.

I undid the clips etc on the drivers side cabin air filter, and fiddled with the surround, before, eventually, the lower part came off, revealing…

…no, not the e-box as expected…

I was faced with the brake servo, which immediately made perfect sense; I immediately realised I’d watched a US video.

So I put it all back together, and started taking the passenger side apart.


Untouched, before disassembly…

Undo that clip along the left edge of the cover, and there’s a clip you can undo with a 13mm socket on the lower right corner (as pictured). Lift it off.

Then, you need to unclip the seal (pictured) – it just lifts off. There’s a clip on plastic cover in the middle below the windscreen, just visible in the left of the picture above; it just slides to the right and comes off.

Once that’s done, you can undo the screw (centre, bottom, next to the red battery terminal, in the picture above) and 3 more of the hex 13mm to be undone with the socket.

You can remove an odd little plastic cover that fits around the right hand bonnet stay with a bit of a wiggle, and then the cover comes off revealing…


Undo the alan screws holding the lid on, and…


That browny-beige relay is the wiper relay.

The invoice says it’s a B61.36.8.384.505.

Hope this helps someone.